TRAVEL NOTES

Some people have asked for information on travel itineraries and recommendations for lodging and attractions. I can only share my experiences and the notes from friends but here are my travel notes from places I have been and hope to visit. I will continue to update!

Friday, September 4, 2015

Rachel's Visit to Hong Kong

I am over a week behind in my posting. So as I sit poolside in Siem Reap I will update you on last weekend. 

My friend Rachel had a work trip to Singapore for over a week so she took a few days before the trip to stop in Hong Kong and visit for 3 days. 

She arrived Thursday night. Friday we went to Lantau Island to visit the Big Buddha. Luckily the weather held out for our visit. It was quite hot but we avoided and rain and thunder showers. 




Friday night we had dinner with a big
group of US visitors and local HK people. We had Thai food in the middle of Hong Kong Park.  

Saturday we had dim sum at Maxim's City  Hall which was a first for me. We met Lisa, Jared, Vancy, and Cody with his family. At Maxim's, they push around the carts full of dim sum and you select what you want from each cart. It is a good experience for visitors because with a group of people you can sample and try many different things. I realized in explaining dim sum that it should be called a "diverse delivery system of pork". Fried pork dumplings, steamed pork buns, pork spring rolls, etc, etc. 

After dim sum Rachel and I took the bus to Stanley to visit the market. Along the way she got to see the south side of Hong Kong Island including Repulse Bay and Deep Water Bay. At Stanley, we did some good shopping and grabbed a snack before heading back to Central. We met Natascha for a drink and then had dinner at Torimen which is a Japanese yakitori restaurant. Again, a good place for visitors because you can sample many things. We then walked around Soho/Central and checked out the nightlife. 

Sunday I took Rachel over to TST. This gave her the chance to take the Star Ferry and see the harbour. I showed her the mall where my office is located and she saw 1881 and clock tower. This area gave great views of Hong Kong Island. 

We then went back to the Island and I took her to Sheung Wan to a slightly more local area. We shopped on Man Mo street and then visited Man Mo Temple. It was steadily raining by this point so we escaped to a bar for a beverage. We grabbed a quick dinner and then Rachel was off to the airport to head to Singapore.

So wonderful having US friends visit! 






No comments:

Post a Comment