TRAVEL NOTES

Some people have asked for information on travel itineraries and recommendations for lodging and attractions. I can only share my experiences and the notes from friends but here are my travel notes from places I have been and hope to visit. I will continue to update!

Sunday, April 19, 2015

Dragon Boat Training - April 19

In June is the Hong Kong Dragon Boat Festival, also known as the Tueng Ng Festival. Hasbro always has a few boats that race. So I decided to join the team this year. We start practices in June and practice once per week. 

Hasbro arranges training each Friday morning in Stanley bay. It is about a 40 minute bus ride from Central bus terminal. I went to my first training this past Friday and there were about 35 of us at practice. 

So dragon boat is a boat of 18 people max per boat and you paddle in different manner than canoeing or kayaking. Instead of having paddle horizontal, rowers lee the paddles vertical. 

Friday we had two boats. One with new boaters and one with more experienced. 

We all wear padded shorts while sitting in the boards as seats and we wear gloves to protect our hands. 

I am 4th back on the left in this boat.




It was a nice day out so we had water fights between the boats in addition to racing each other. 


Here is a video of us dragon boat racing! Form isn't perfect yet, hence the need for more practice!

No comments:

Post a Comment