TRAVEL NOTES

Some people have asked for information on travel itineraries and recommendations for lodging and attractions. I can only share my experiences and the notes from friends but here are my travel notes from places I have been and hope to visit. I will continue to update!

Sunday, January 25, 2015

Home Shopping Weekend

So this weekend I needed to shop for my new apartment. In the US, I would go to Target and be all set. But without a Target here, what is a girl to do. She is going to go to many many different stores. So there is no one-stop shopping here in Hong Kong. Each store and area is usually based on types of products.

Lisa laughed at my when I said I was going to do price comparisons for stores. She said I would get over that quick and just buy what I want when it was convenient (and close by). After 2 days, I'm starting to see her point.

So I went to many, many different stores this weekend. Saturday I went to at least 10 stores looking for home goods products. I don't think I bought anything. Just walked around gathering info on inventory and prices.

Sunday, I needed to put a plan in action to buy stuff. So I made the trip to Ikea on Sunday (about 10 minute subway ride away). First you must know that going to Causeway Bay area on a Sunday is ill-advised due to the crowds and when there is a road race there, it is even more discouraged. But I was already there, with my empty suitcase in tow. Oh yes, remember that whatever I buy I have to hand carry out of the store... so just like a mainlander I brought my suitcase.

I had my priority list for Ikea ready... plates, bowls, and silverware were at the top. Wine glasses and bedding were secondary. Remember, I buy must fit in the suitcase so don't overbuy...

So I did fairly well buy plates, no bowls-fail!, silverware, and wine glasses(!). I also got kitchen towels. With the convenient packing station at the end, I wrapped everything in paper and placed in my suitcase and prayed it would all make it. I ventured back into the crowds and found the taxi stand. One taxi ride to my new apartment and everything made it safely home.

By then I was on a mission to buy more. I had found towels I wanted Saturday at the department store (Wing On). So I took my empty suitcase down the many stairs and went back there and purchased my towels. Putting them into the now empty suitcase to wheel back to my temp apartment. See how this suitcase is handy (except on all the stairs...).

I still can't decide on bedding... so I left that for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment